Bicycle accidents can cause severe injuries requiring extensive medical treatment and medical expenses. Bike accident victims have the legal right to attempt to recover damages in bicycle accident cases.
If you were injured in a bike crash in Long Beach or the greater Los Angeles area and need help with getting fair compensation for your medical bills, call The Dominguez Firm for a free consultation at (800) 818-1818 right away.
What Should I Do After a Bicycle Crash?
If you are able after a bike accident, follow these steps at the scene to build the strongest bicycle injury case posible.
- Seek medical treatment for any injuries, whether they are serious injuries or not. You may need a professional record of everything from broken bones to scrapes and cuts.
- Gather witness contact information from your accident if anyone was present at the time and saw the events of your bicycle accident.
- Take photos of the scene of the bike accident, damage to your bicycle, injuries, the bike lane, signage nearby, and anything else that can help your bicycle accident lawyer reconstruct the events of your accident.
- Keep any evidence from the bike crash, such as your damaged bicycle, helmet, clothes, etc.
- Never admit fault to police, insurance, or witnesses. Detail the events that happened clearly for the police report but do not offer opinions about why or how the accident occurred. And don’t apologize! This can be used against you as an admission of guilt.
- Don’t speak to any insurance adjusters or insurance company representative. They will attempt to discredit the cause of your accident or injuries so they can pay less if your case goes to court.
- Hire a lawyer from an experienced personal injury law firm such as The Dominguez Firm to represent you after your Long Beach bicycle accident.
Many bicyclists suffer serious injuries due to their bicycle accident. That means they can’t take photos, collect witness information, or make a statement to the police at the scene.
If you need immediate medical attention after your bike accident, rest assured that an experienced bike accident lawyer with The Dominguez Firm can find witnesses, accident footage, and other sources of evidence to help you build your personal injury case.
What Are the Common Causes of Bike Accidents?
Long Beach bicycle accidents typically result from someone else’s negligence. A negligent driver may cause a bike accident in a number of ways.
- Distracted driving leads to numerous bicycle accidents every year. A driver on their phone may not notice they drifted into a bike lane or cut off a bicyclist at an intersection.
- Drivers or passengers not looking for traffic in the bike lane before opening a car door near an approaching cyclist, causing a collision with the door.
- Drivers not knowing when to yield the right of way at stop signs or red lights.
- Drivers failing to signal before turning right across the bike lane against a bicyclist going straight.
- Drivers turngni left from the opposite side of the intersection across the pathway of a cyclist riding straight through the intersection on a green light.
- A hit-and-run driver fleeing the scene of the accident. This is considered a felony.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about 27% of all cyclists killed in the state of California in 2019 were in Los Angeles County, with 36 out of 133 bicycle accident deaths throughout the state.
Many highway safety department statistics and advocacy groups demonstrate that more bicyclists face dangerous biking conditions in Southern California than in many other places in the country. Only Florida and New York show higher incidences of injured victims and fatalities among bicycle riders in traffic accidents.
Bike Riders Should Follow These Safety Tips
The NHTSA recommends that all bike riders follow these tips to avoid bike accidents and reduce harm in the event of a collision.
- Wear a helmet at all times to protect your head.
- Ensure that your bicycle is the appropriate size for you and that you equip it with the right safety gear for your riding style.
- Test your brakes and wheels before getting on the road.
- Wear visible clothing with reflective protection.
- Avoid nighttime biking if possible.
- Ride with the flow of motor vehicle traffic.
- Obey all traffic laws and share the road. Cyclists must follow the same laws as drivers.
What Are Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents?
Long Beach bike accidents can range from scrapes and cuts to more serious issues that can lead to a lifetime of pain, including:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Brain damage
- Permanent disfigurement
You may need long-term medical care or physical therapy on top of costly hospital bills. Make sure to hire an experienced Long Beach bicycle accident lawyer to represent you.
How Do I File a Bicycle Accident Claim?
If you were seriously injured in a Long Beach bicycle accident, call the The Dominguez Firm right away. Do this before speaking to your insurance company or the insurance rep of the person that hit you. Insurance companies are not there to help you. If they can reduce your claim or deny it outright, they will. They are a business interested in making profits, not doling out large payouts.
What If My Insurance Company Doesn’t Pay My Personal Injury Claim?
Our knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys at The Dominguez Firm can still help you pursue compensation for:
- Hospital bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Property damage to your bicycle and other riding equipment
We can pursue your case whether the insurance companies want to make you whole again or not. We have the resources to take them on if needed.
Do I Need a Bike Accident Lawyer?
You need not only a bike accident lawyer but also an advocate for your rights. At The Dominguez Firm, we offer a free case review for Long Beach bicycle accident victims. You can rely on our attorney-client relationship to protect you when dealing with police or insurance adjusters.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Get for My Long Beach Bicycle Accident?
An experienced Long Beach law firm can help you pursue compensation for economic compensation like expenses for medical care, lost income from being unable to work due to your injuries, and other financial damages that your bike accident directly or subsequently caused.
You may also be able to pursue non-economic compensation, such as loss of quality of life, pain and suffering, or emotional distress.
Once the court determines the total compensation amount, it decides if comparative fault is a factor. In California, you can sue for your injuries even if you share some of the blame. The court will decide your percentage of blame and subtract that from your final settlement or verdict amount.
A Long Beach court may also award punitive damages if they determine that the negligent party was malicious with intent to cause you harm.
Find a Long Beach Bicycle Accident Lawyer at The Dominguez Firm
At The Dominguez Firm, we proudly serve our clients with our three core values of compassion, service, and results. Call us today at (800) 818-1818 for a free consultation. We can travel to your home or hospital at a moment’s notice.