Did you recently suffer injuries due to a slip and fall accident in Orange County, CA? If so, you may be entitled to compensation. Call the experienced slip and fall lawyers at The Dominguez Firm today for your free consultation by dialing (800) 818-1818.
Slip and fall accidents can lead to complications like lost wages, serious injuries, medical expenses, emergency room visits, and insurance company hurdles. If the slip and fall victim was elderly, they could suffer life-threatening injuries or even die. Filing a slip and fall lawsuit will not undo your suffering, but it can help you financially recover from medical bills and other expenses.
In this article, one of our experienced Orange County slip and fall accident lawyers at The Dominguez Firm will discuss what you need to know about creating a claim, recovering, and seeking compensation.
The mission of the experienced Orange County slip and fall attorneys at The Dominguez Firm is to use our knowledge to protect your rights in court and fight for the maximum compensation you’re entitled to for your injuries.
Common Slip and Fall Accident Causes
Slip and fall accidents happen frequently and for many different reasons. Common causes that may warrant compensation in a slip and fall case include:
Dark hallways or staircases may lead to fall injuries that may justify compensation by the responsible party in fall cases.
Property owner negligence
If the property owner neglects different building problems like broken flooring, shattered glass, water leaks, or anything else, slip and fall victims may be able to seek financial compensation.
Spills and leaks are among the top causes of slip and fall claims. Property owners should ensure that they or employees immediately clean or rope off floors after a spill.
Road debris can cause someone to trip and fall, warranting a fall claim. Depending on where and when the accident occurred, the local government, state, or federal government may be liable for hazardous roads. If the road is on private land, the property owner will be responsible in most cases, unless you are trespassing.
Snow and ice can cause slippery sidewalks and roadways. Property owners or local governments should remediate this hazard with proper salting and shoveling to prevent a car accident or fall injury.
Exposure to a dangerous condition without warning signs or a barrier
A hazardous condition, like ones found on a construction site, should have warning signs to prevent injuries.
All building owners should follow requirements for adequate drainage, the repair of areas with standing water, or anti-slip mats to keep visitors safe. If not, the property owner may assume liability for a slip and fall on a slippery surface.
Broken flooring or sidewalks
Orange County municipal governments are responsible for maintaining public walkways or sidewalks. A broken sidewalk can cause a serious slip and fall injury.
Determining Accident Fault
Proving liability in personal injury cases can be challenging. You must prove negligence by providing evidence that someone directly caused your slip and fall incident by acting improperly.
A personal injury case will typically consider the following liability factors:
A premises liability case states that the property owner allowed you on their property, understood that a hazardous condition existed, but did not resolve the problem, ultimately causing your slip and fall accident. All property owners owe their visitors safe and decent conditions. (Note that trespassers fall into a different legal category.)
To determine liability, you must prove that the at-fault party knew that the dangerous condition existed and did nothing to resolve or prevent it. This rule also applies to situations where any reasonable person would have noticed the issue, but the employee in charge or owner did not.
In some cases, the liable party is the person who directly caused the Orange County slip and fall. For example, if an employee spilled milk on the grocery store floor and did not clean it up, they may be at fault instead of or in addition to the store owner.
Inadequate repairs or maintenance
Slip and fall accidents can also happen when the liable party does not repair damage to their property or does so poorly. This condition may also apply when a property owner does not maintain their premises clear of trash and debris.
An Orange County local slip and fall personal injury attorney can help you understand these liability factors when building your case. Call us at The Dominguez Firm today at (800) 818-1818
Injuries From Slip and Fall Accidents
Common personal injuries suffered from an Orange County slip and fall accident claim might include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injury
- Fractured bones
- Injured muscles, tendons, or joints
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Internal bleeding
Seek Compensation With a Slip and Fall Attorney
Orange County slip and fall victims can receive compensation by hiring a slip and fall attorney to represent their case.
How much compensation, legally known as damages, can you receive for a slip and fall case? Our personal injury attorneys can help you recover the following damages:
- All medical expenses related to your slip and fall accident
- Pain and suffering
- Current and future loss of income
- Mental health counseling
- Loss of enjoyment of life
While an Orange County slip and fall attorney cannot undo your suffering, we can help you begin your recovery journey more quickly by reducing financial stress.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Incident
How you proceed after an Orange County slip and fall accident can greatly impact the value of your case. Our slip and fall lawyers recommend you follow these steps to present a strong case:
- Immediately seek medical attention: You should visit a doctor or hospital after the accident to evaluate your injuries. Even if you feel fine, some symptoms may not arise until after the adrenaline wears down.
- Take pictures at the scene: Evidence is critical in all slip and fall cases. You should take photographs of the area, your injuries, and any property damage.
- Gather contact information: Collect information from all involved parties, including employees, managers, business owners, and potential witnesses.
- Keep anything you wore: Your shoes or other clothing can play a critical role in determining who was responsible for the accident. Once you get home, you should keep all clothing from the accident in a protected bag until your case goes to court.
- Do not speak to the insurance company: The insurance company will call you and ask questions about your slip-and-fall accident. They aren’t trying to help you. Their aim to find something to help them reduce their settlement offer. You are not legally obligated to speak to them, so don’t do it. Instead, have your personal injury attorney handle the insurance company on your behalf.
- Contact an experienced attorney: An experienced lawyer will help protect your legal rights so that you can receive fair compensation. Having a law firm by your side ensures no one takes advantage of your legal rights or finances.
Call the Orange County Slip and Fall Lawyer at The Dominguez Firm Today
If you’re seriously injured in a slip and fall accident in Orange County due to someone else’s negligence, you should call The Dominguez Firm right away.
At The Dominguez Firm, we value our attorney-client relationships. Our aim is to help you build a case towards receiving fair compensation while providing outstanding customer service. Contact our team to speak with one of our Orange County, CA, slip and fall attorneys.
Call us at (800) 818-1818 for a free consultation. And as always, if there is no recovery, there is no fee!