Big rig accidents can lead to catastrophic injuries or even death. For big rig accident victims and their families, the trauma of being in a major accident is made worse by having to deal with multiple parties afterward. This is when an experienced big rig truck accident attorney can help. At The Dominguez Firm, we have been successfully handling big rig accidents for over 3 decades. If you or a family member were injured or killed in a big rig accident, call us today for a free consultation at 800-818-1818. We have the experience and resources to handle your case so you receive the compensation you deserve.
Is a Big Rig the Same as a Semi?
Yes. A tractor truck with a trailer unit and/or a flatbed attached is known by several different names. Whether you call it a semi, big rig, 18-wheeler or tractor-trailer, they are all names for this large commercial truck.
Has the Number of Big Rig Accidents Increased or Decreased in the Last Few Years?
Unfortunately, the number of big rig accidents has increased over the last few years. There were other disturbing trends as well. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- From 2016 to 2017, the number of large truck crashes increased by 4% from 112,000 in 2016 to 116,000 in 2017.
- The number of fatalities in crashes involving large trucks increased by 9% between 2016 and 2017. There were 4,369 deaths in 2016, as opposed to 4,761 in 2017.
- Of those 4,761 fatalities in 2017, 3,450 or 72% of them were occupants of other vehicles.
What Compensation Can I Receive After a Big Rig Accident?
The damages (legal speak for the financial compensation) you are entitled to after a big rig accident depends on your injuries and the property damage you suffered. These accidents can leave victims with permanent injuries as well as lasting mental scars. And in many cases, victims are forced to miss work for weeks and months. Depending on the person’s profession, they may never be able to return to the job they held before their big rig accident.
There is no exact formula for calculating what a case is worth. However, major accidents involving big rigs usually result in sizeable settlement amounts for victims or any next of kin. There are several reasons for this, including:
- Injuries to the occupants of passenger vehicles hit by a big rig are often catastrophic. The medical bills associated with treating those injuries can go into the hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars.
- If there are permanent injuries, the person could require long-term care and home modifications.
- Rehabilitation and/or physical therapy may be necessary for an extended length of time.
- Given the traumatic nature of a big rig accident, victims often need ongoing mental health care.
- Many times, a person can’t return to work right away. In some cases, they can’t return to work at all.
- If someone was killed in a big rig accident, their next of kin would have the right to file a wrongful death claim. These claims can go into the millions of dollars.
All of this doesn’t even take property damage into account as well. The big rig accident lawyers at The Dominguez Firm can compare your case with similar cases that they’ve successfully handled. This will allow them to give you a general idea of what your case will be worth.
Don’t trust the trucking company representatives or their insurance agents to do the right thing. Their main objective is to close your claim as quickly as they can for the least amount possible. Call The Dominguez Firm today at 800-818-1818 for a free big rig accident case evaluation. And you don’t have to worry about the cost of legal representation because you incur no up-front expenses or hidden legal fees. And if we don’t win, you don’t pay. So, call us today!
My experience was good. They made sure to kept me in the loop and made sure to let me know what was going on the whole time. My mom has used other attorneys and this experience was beyond better. I would definitely recommend them!
— Ashley Magana
The attorneys were always available and answered my questions. I would recommend them to anyone. Zoe is the best!
— Janet Salazar
My experience with The Dominguez Firm and the attorneys was really good. They were very informative and always returned my calls.
— Jocelyn Gonzalez