TOP 10 TIPS FOR THE INJURED 5 It’s a fact that many serious injuries happen while on the clock at work. When you’re injured while performing work duties, you would normally file a claim with your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance and begin the process of treatment and benefits. In many cases, this may be your sole avenue for redress, known as the “exclusive remedy” rule. On the other hand, if a non-employer person, entity, business, or company causes or at least contributes to your on-the-job injuries, you may sue that party directly in civil court in addition to your workers’ compensation claim. The civil component of your case is known as a “cross- over” or “third-party” case since you and your employer are considered the first and second parties. Third-party cases provide additional potential redress to maximize your recovery well above and beyond what your workers’ compensation may pay out. It is common in third-party cases, however, for your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier to demand for CIVIL COURT VS. WORKERS’ COMPENSATION the third-party to pay for any benefits it has paid to you, if it is shown that the third-party was at-fault for your accident. This is known as a subrogation claim. If you potentially have a “cross-over” or “third- party” case, it is important that you choose a law firm with vast experience in handling both workers’ compensation and personal injury cases in order to maximize results in both aspects of your case. For over 30 years, our firm has successfully resolved thousands of third-party, workers’ compensation and cross-over cases. TOP 10 TIPS FOR THE SERIOUSL Y INJURED 800-818-1818 •