Location: Los Angeles, CA
Benefits Offered: Vision, Medical, Life Insurance, 401k, Dental
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position: Lien Negotiator
Department: Personal Injury
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports directly to: Personal Injury Supervising Attorney
The Lien Negotiator will work directly with and support the Personal Injury department attorneys and support staff, as well as other departments (i.e., Accounting, Administration, etc.). Their primary function will be to negotiate pre and post-settlement liens, including health insurance liens, hospital/ER/EMS liens, private medical provider liens, and state and federal medical provider liens.
Primary duties/responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Handling a large volume of cases requiring lien reductions and negotiations, simultaneously, for department attorneys as needed;
- Communicating with Medi-Cal, Medicare, Medicaid, and other governmental health care providers in lien negotiation and resolution;
- Communicating with health insurance providers, private medical providers, and hospital/ER/EMS providers in lien negotiation and resolution;
- Communicating with personal injury clients when necessary in the course of lien negotiation and resolution;
- Opening and reviewing incoming mail/e-mail;
- Faxing, photocopying, scanning, and converting or exporting/importing documents to/from other applications;
- Maintaining electronic and hardcopy files in accordance with the Firm's policies and procedures;
- Performing other duties as assigned by Management and/or attorneys.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with a high degree of discretion and tact;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals;
- Possess strong organizational/clerical skills;
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team;
- Ability to pay very close attention to detail;
- Ability to adhere to law office policies and procedures;
- Ability to identify urgent tasks and to prioritize accordingly;
- Able to practice appropriate office etiquette;
- Ability to manage their time and multi-task effectively;
- Ability to maintain composure and professionalism under pressure;
- Ability to adapt to new situations and changing priorities; and
- This position requires physical activity including, but not limited to bending, stooping, repetitive motion, and lifting of up to 20 pounds (lbs.). In addition, lifting heavy items and transport/guide up to 100 pounds (lbs.) of material on a cart is sometimes required.
- Possess a working knowledge of personal injury lien negotiation;
- Strong working knowledge of various governmental healthcare provider policies and procedures for lien negotiation and resolution i.e. Medicare, Medi-Cal, Medicaid, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of industry practices and procedures in lien negotiation and resolution with health insurance providers, private healthcare providers, and hospital/ER/EMS providers, generally;
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in a Personal Injury law firm preferred;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel) and other applications and/or systems (i.e., Highly organized, detail-oriented, and demonstrates a sense of urgency;
- The right candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills; and
- Spanish fluency is a plus, but not required.