The Risk of Serious Injury Related to Trampolines
Learn just how dangerous trampolines are, what kind of injuries typically occur, how to protect your children, and what to do if you or your child is a victim of a trampoline accident.
In Southern California, nearly every day is perfect trampoline weather, and even though trampolines provide an outdoor activity for kids who are usually fixated on screens, jumping for fun can turn disastrous in just one bounce.
The latest statistics from the American Academy of Pediatrics show that:
- 75 percent of injuries occur when multiple people are jumping at the same time
- Kids under the age of 5 are most at risk to suffer fractures and dislocations in a trampoline accident
- Falls off of trampolines result in up to 39 percent of all trampoline injuries
- There were 98,000 trampoline injuries and 3,100 resulting hospitalizations
- Safety netting does not make trampolines much safer
Accidents Can Be Catastrophic
Trampolines can cause serious injuries resulting from colliding with others, landing awkwardly, hitting the springs and bars, or bouncing off the trampoline. Common trampoline injuries include:
- Dislocations, sprains, and strains
- Neck and spinal injuries, including temporary and/or permanent paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions
- Nerve and neurological injury
- Wrongful death
Safe Jumping Tips to Avoid Serious Injury
The American Academy of Pediatrics warns against trampolines, but also offers safe jumping tips including: supervision of children at all times, only allowing one jumper at a time, and forbidding tricks like flips. Unfortunately, because trampolines are what we call “attractive nuisances” in the legal field, children will be attracted to them and find a way to jump on someone else’s trampoline if proper safeguards, such as locked fences or trampoline netting, aren’t in place, putting trampoline owners in jeopardy as well as children.
If you or your child has been injured or worse in a trampoline accident, the road to recovery may include a product liability, a premises liability, and/or a negligence lawsuit, all of which require thorough investigation, tactful planning, and award-winning lawyers that are ready and willing to go to trial and hold at-fault parties accountable. With over 30 years of experience handling personal injury accidents and with over $500,000,000 in total recoveries, we have the resources and fortitude to take on the strongest of opposition.
The Dominguez Firm has experienced personal injury lawyers to assist and get you the compensation you deserve. If there is no recovery, there is no fee! Call now for a free consultation at 800-818-1818.