Passenger Rights When Flying on a Commercial Airplane
Learn about passenger rights, the latest trends in airline grievances, and what to do if you or a loved one has a claim against an airline.
Flying, whether it’s out of LAX, Burbank, Ontario, Long Beach or Orange County, has always carried with it the mystique of traveling, the rush and excitement of takeoff, and of course, the fear and anxiety that something could go wrong.
In years past, it seemed like airplane crashes were the number one concern while flying, but these days you can add assault and battery to those concerns. In fact, an alarming trend is the increase of sexual assaults on planes between passengers. (See HERE.)
Know Your Legal On-board Rights
Passenger rights is a hot topic, fueled by viral videos like the unfortunately passenger who was violently dragged off of United Airlines flight. If you’ve been asked not to board or to get off the plane itself, remain calm, do as your asked, and negotiate the outcome knowing that you have the following passenger rights:
- Airlines can bump passengers, but must compensate them with few exceptions
- Airlines must first ask for volunteers to take another flight and compensate those passengers
- Airlines can bump passengers involuntarily, but must provide written rules and compensation
- Compensation is negotiable and is based on the price of the ticket, but is capped at $1,350.00
- If you’re drunk, late, very rude, or demand a threat to passenger safety you may be removed and not compensated
- Airlines have broad discretion to handle non-compliant passengers in any way necessary
Experienced Airplane Accident Attorneys
If you’ve been involved in an altercation in an airport or plane or you’ve lost a loved in a crash, engaging a Los Angeles airplane lawyer with the skill, resolve, and resources to take on powerful opposition is necessary to enforce your legal rights, whether it’s for discrimination, assault, or loss of companionship. Potential at-fault parties can include other passengers as well as negligent crew, pilots, personnel, maintenance, management, airlines, and others. Our staff, investigators, and award-winning, aggressive, and adept trial lawyers can handle all aspects of your case so you can focus on what is most important, healing.
The Dominguez Firm has experienced aviation accident lawyers to assist and get you the compensation you deserve. If there is no recovery, there is no fee! Call now for a free consultation at 800-818-1818.