Happy National Grilling Month
Learn how a fun summer day can turn disastrous, tips to avoid becoming a grilling statistic, and what legal theories exist to maximize your recovery if you’ve been injured in a grilling accident.
This summer in and around Greater Los Angeles, let’s leave the grilled items to hot dogs, burgers, steaks, veggies, and chicken and let’s do our best to avoid charring our decks, houses, and even ourselves.
Serious Injury Accidents from Grilling
Grilling is an American pastime, but personal injuries, burns, and fires are all too common. Some alarming yearly statistics include yearly averages of:
- 9,600 – grilling-related fires
- 16,600 – people sent to the emergency room
- 1,600 – children suffered non-thermal burns from touching grills
- 7,900 – homes that caught fire from gas grills (3,300 structure fires);
- 1,300 – homes that caught fire from charcoal grills (600 structure fires)
How to Avoid Serious Injuries and Enjoy Your Grilling
July is National Grilling Month so it’s a great time to review some safe grilling tips, including:
- Always grill outdoors away from structures, awnings, decks, overhangs, garages, trees, etc.
- Place grill on flat surfaces
- Before grilling, check connections, cylinders, hoses, and tanks for leaks and barbecue defects
- Use grill utensils with long-handles and fire-proof mitts
- Never leave your grill unattended
- Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from your grill
- Have a fire extinguisher, bucket of water, or hose nearby
- Keep your grill free of fat or grease buildup
- Make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it
- Never spray starter fluid on an existing fire
- Wait until coals are totally cool to discard
- Do not wear loose or frilly clothing that can catch fire easily
Fire Accident Attorneys and How to Protect Yourself
Grill fires can happen in a flash resulting in severe burns or fatality, as well as fire damage and total destruction of your home. The cause of a grilling accident injury or structure fire can be negligence, recklessness, poorly maintained or defective grills, gas tanks, hoses, and other apparatus, necessitating a negligence, premises liability, or products liability lawsuit to maximize your recovery and secure your future well-being. Severe burns are some of the most painful and devastating injuries and compensation usually depends on the degree and size of your burn.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a grilling injury accident, please do not hesitate to call us for a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer at 800-818-1818. If there is no recovery, there is no fee!