When you’ve been injured in an auto accident through the negligence of someone else, you want to get your health and your life back to normal as fast as possible. And to do so, you need monetary compensation to help pay for your expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life.
What you might now know is that it is up to you to prove your damages to the other side. They can just sit back and if you do nothing, then you cannot recover your losses. You might think, how come I have to do all of the work when they were negligent and caused the accident?
The truth is, though, with an experienced, expert auto accident lawyer from The Dominguez Firm, you can actually focus on getting better and we’ll work to calculate your damages.
What are “Damages”?
“Damages” is a legal term that is used when referring to how negatively the auto accident impacted your body and your life. You can think of it as being synonymous with the word injuries, but not just injuries to your body.
In the legal world, there are two types of “damages” – economic damages and non-economic damages. Both types of damages must be calculated and quantified for both the past and the future in way that can be communicated to the other side, a mediator, and/or a jury.
- Economic damages include things like medical bills, lost income, lost business, and any losses or expenses that you would not have incurred but for the accident, like transportation costs if you have to rely on a service to get around. Economic damages usually come in the form of a bill, an invoice, or a future projection calculated by medical experts and/or economists.
- Non-economic damages include things like pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress, and any other non-economic harm to your life. These are more difficult to quantify and usually necessitate you to tell your life’s story through your voice and through the voice of your friends, colleagues, and family. Photographs and videos of your pre-accident life can also be very powerful when showing the impact of the accident on your life.
$3.3 Million Auto Accident Settlement
We recently helped an auto accident victim procure a $3.3 million settlement that will help secure her financial future so she can recuperate. This case involved a big rig tractor that pulled out in front of our client’s car, leaving her no time to avoid the high speed, catastrophic impact and injuries that followed.
While this was a big rig versus auto accident, there are other types of auto accidents including:
- Auto v. Auto
- Auto v. Commercial Vehicle (truck, big rig, van)
- Auto v. Bus
- Auto v. Train
- Auto v. Pedestrian
- Auto v. emergency vehicle (ambulance, police, sheriff, etc.)
- Single auto accident (usually from road design or maintenance issue)
Help Recovering Damages
Proving the damages part of your case can be very complicated and necessitate a skilled auto injury lawyer to file an auto accident lawsuit to hold at-fault, negligent parties responsible. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an auto accident, please do not hesitate to call and talk to an experienced auto accident lawyer at The Dominguez Firm for a free consultation at 800-818-1818.